Our School Program was created in direct response to increased budget cuts and growing school needs. To help fill the gap, individual donors and our corporate partners told us that they wanted the ability to contribute to school-wide initiatives to benefit all students in a school, in addition to supporting individual classrooms.
AdoptAClassroom.org believes that principals and teachers are professionals who know best what their schools and classrooms need. Therefore, the program allows the use of funds to be flexible and spent at the discretion of school administrators, based on real-time needs. The registration process for schools is very similar to that for teachers, which has been designed to be quick and easy to use for busy professionals.
How AdoptAClassroom.org Works for the School Program
- Register on AdoptAClassroom.org and create a school profile page, including a description of your school’s fundraising needs. You are not committed to any specific project or plan – we understand needs change. At any time, you may choose to make your school’s profile page public (and searchable for public fundraising). Should you choose to keep it private, your school is still eligible for our grants and corporate sponsor funding.
- We automatically create your AdoptAClassroom.org online account. Only you have access to that account.
- There are three ways to receive funds for your school:
- School Fundraising Platform – Use your school community’s network to raise funds. Principals, faculty PTO/PTAs, and parents may share and promote your school donation page to request donations from family, friends, small business and the broader community. Having a public school fundraising page on AdoptAClassroom.org makes your school and its needs visible to donors across the country Note: Before we can make your school page public for fundraising purposes, we require an approval letter from your district.
- Funds from our Corporate Sponsors and Foundations – Receive funds through our national network of corporate sponsors and foundations. These funds are disbursed to schools that are registered with our organization and meet donor criteria. Criteria varies by donor and may include; Title 1 status, geographic location or specific curriculum or grade level. Having a complete and compelling school profile page, including photos/video, will give your school the best chance of being selected for this funding.
- Apply for a Spotlight Fund Grant – Several times each year you will receive an email alerting you to a grant opportunity and request for proposal. Our Spotlight Funds support High-Needs, STEAM, Inclusive Classrooms, and Disaster Relief.
- When you receive a donation we will alert you by email and your funds will appear in your online account as credit. No cash ever changes hands. Note: In order to make this program possible, AdoptAClassroom.org collects a 10% administrative fee on all school account donations.
- The next time you log in, you will be prompted to send a short thank-you email to your donor. Then you can start shopping for the supplies you need through our online marketplace of nearly 30 educational products vendors. Can’t find what you need? Contact us about how to make an out-of-network purchase.
- All purchases are shipped directly to your school, to your attention. Your donor will receive an email listing everything you purchased. Detailed reporting on donations and items purchased is available to school and district officials upon request.
- You have one calendar year to spend each donation. After that, your donation will “expire” and will be reallocated to other teachers or to support AdoptAClasroom.org’s programs. The reason for this is 1) to provide schools with the flexibility they need to spend their funds over the course of a school year, and 2) to give our donors and sponsors the assurance they need that their donated funds will be put to use within a reasonable period of time.
Get started by signing up your school here.
“AdoptAClassroom.org was extremely easy to work with. Their staff was available throughout the entire process to answer any questions and to ensure the process went smoothly. Students were able to get materials for learning that they may not normally get due to funding restraints. Teachers were able to be creative with unit planning and receive materials that will help support student learning. They were very impressed with how user-friendly the site was and all the available vendors.
I would absolutely work with AdoptAClassroom.org again. I was very impressed by the professionalism and support that I received.” – Alison, Principal in Sparks, NV