– Updated February 2019 –
Why is AdoptAClassroom.org well-positioned to support school fundraising?
Our proven fundraising platform has been helping teacher access funds for classroom supplies for more than 20 years. Now AdoptAClassroom.org’s new School Program gives principals and school administrators the opportunity to use our fundraising platform to support larger, school-wide initiatives.
Why we are the best fundraising platform available to schools:
- Credibility – For more than 20 years, AdoptAClassroom.org has offered a proprietary digital platform to help teachers raise funds for their classrooms. More than 200,000 classrooms have been funded through AdoptAClassroom.org, making us a trusted partner for both teachers and donors Now we are making that same platform available to schools.
- Easy-to-Use Fundraising Platform – Our site makes it easy for schools to set up their own customized fundraising page to share with their community of supporters, donors, and PTA/PTO’s. Each fundraising page is connected to the school’s own AdoptAClassroom.org online account. The authorized administrator for the school can logon to spend their funds immediately on supplies their school needs from the more than 20 educational product vendors on our private ecommerce marketplace.
- Accountability – Our staff works with school districts to verify every school account on our school fundraising platform to ensure the funds can only be accessed by the school principal or chosen administrator. No cash changes hands, and items ordered can only be shipped to the school’s address.
- Transparency – AdoptAClassroom.org makes it easy for anyone who donates to a school to see how the donation is spent. We do this automatically without any work on the school’s part. This is increasingly important to donors who want to know their gift was spent appropriately and made a difference. AdoptAClassroom.org holds the highest rating from Charity Navigator, which includes top scores in accountability and transparency. School districts may also request a report from AdoptAClassroom.org at any time to see how funds for schools in their districts are spent.
- Flexibility – Our site does not require schools to fill out a long application to receive funds. We believe that schools and teachers know best what their students need. That’s why we allow schools the freedom to spend their funds on the tools and materials they need, when they need them. Schools can find everything from basic supplies to technology through our private online marketplace.
- Increased Access to Funding – We work with a diverse group of corporate sponsors, individual donors, and foundations who support education. By registering with AdoptAClassroom.org, schools are eligible to receive these funds – money the school would not otherwise have access to.
Unlike other for-profit school fundraising sites, every gift is tax-deductible because AdoptAClassroom.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
How are school pages different from classroom pages?
School pages are created by a school principal or administrator, generally to benefit all students at a school. For a school page to appear on the AdoptAClassroom.org fundraising site, we require each principal/administrator who registers to use our public fundraising platform to submit a letter from their district office indicating that they are authorized to do so.
Classroom pages are created by teachers to support their students. Teachers have full discretion over how the funds are spent.
In both cases, supplies must be shipped directly to the school’s address, verified by our staff, and the address cannot be changed by the user.
How do I know if my school is fundraising?
You can look for your school here.
If you don’t see your school, please let your principal know about AdoptAClassroom.org! They can sign up at any time for extra resources for your school.
Does AdoptAClassroom.org receive any fees?
Yes, AdoptAClassroom.org retains a 10% fee on every donation made to a school page. As a nonprofit organization, these fees cover the technology and staff time required to support the program, including working with school districts to verify school pages, providing customer support to help schools get the items they need within or outside our vendor marketplace, working with vendors to ship and pay for the items, ongoing maintenance and enhancement of our technology platform, and reporting back to donors and sponsors about the items purchased.
School Districts / Superintendents
How can I sign up my school?
Can I receive reporting of what our school has purchased?
Yes, you may request a report of purchases made by schools in your district at any time. Just contact [email protected].
How do I treat these donations from a bookkeeping perspective?
Technically, donors are making their financial contributions to AdoptAClassroom.org, and they receive a donation receipt from us at the time of their donation. The items selected by a school are purchased by AdoptAClassroom.org and then donated to the school. So the school receives in-kind product donations, not cash.
School Board / PTO / PTA Members
Where do I go for more information on how to sign up?
Can I sign up on behalf of my school?
Yes, however, you may only sign up on behalf of your school with a letter from your district office indicating that you are authorized to do so.
Can we receive reporting of what our school purchased?
Yes. School districts may request a report of purchases made by school accounts at any time. Just contact [email protected].
School Administrators / Principals
What do I need to do to register my school?
Go here to get started. We require each principal/administrator who registers to use our fundraising platform to submit a letter from their district office indicating that they are authorized to do so.
How do I receive donations?
There are two ways to receive funds for your school:
- School Fundraising Platform
- Use your school’s community network to raise funds. Principals, PTO/PTAs, faculty, and parents may share and promote your school donation page, asking family, friends, and local businesses to donate. In order to launch your school page, we require an approval letter from your district.
- Grants from AdoptAClassroom.org Donors
- AdoptAClassroom.org also receives funding from individual donors, corporate sponsors, and foundation grants, which we disburse to schools that are registered with our organization. Schools are selected to receive these funds based on donor criteria which may include school grade levels, geography, or Title 1 status.
When you receive a donation, the funds will immediately appear in your online account and we’ll alert you by email.
Why do I need a letter from my school district?
We require a letter from each school’s district to ensure the correct school contact has access to the donations made in the school’s name.
Who can access the donations in my account?
Only one user can access a school’s account and that access is tied to their email address. If you need to change the user who has access to your school’s AdoptAClassroom.org account, please contact [email protected].
How can I spend the donations I receive?
Schools can find everything from basic supplies to technology through our online marketplace. If you would like to make a purchase outside of our marketplace, you are able to do so by contacting [email protected]
How long do I have to spend a donation? What happens if I don’t spend it in time?
We believe that schools and teachers know best what their students need. That’s why we give them the freedom to spend their funds on the tools and materials they need, when they need them.
However, we have a responsibility to AdoptAClassroom.org donors to ensure that funds are spent in a timely manner to support students. That’s why all school and classroom donations expire within 12 months.
If schools do not use their funds by the 12 month deadline, AdoptAClassroom.org will reallocate the funds to where they are needed most to support our mission.
Can I move a portion of our school’s donated funds to a classroom page?
Yes, schools can decide to direct their donation to teachers’ classroom pages. Just contact us at [email protected] to set that up.
Who sees what we purchase for our school?
Donors automatically receive a report of everything you purchased with their donation. School districts can request a full report of purchases made by school accounts at any time.
Does my school page ever expire? When?
Yes. Your school page may be removed from the AdoptAClassroom.org site if you do not login for one year. Your school page may be deleted if you do not login for two years.
Will you contact my donors for me? Can I get a list of my donors?
Through AdoptAClassroom.org’s platform you must send one thank you email to every donor who gives to your school’s account in order to spend their donation.
Can I donate my leftover funds to my school’s account?
Yes, you may share your donation with your school’s account at any time. Just email [email protected] from the email the address on your classroom account. Note that you are under no obligation from AdoptAClassroom.org to give donations from your classroom page to your school.
If my school also sets up an AdoptAClassroom.org account, do I have to share my donations with the school account?
No, you are under no obligation from AdoptAClassroom.org to give donations from your classroom page to your school. Donors that give to classroom pages wish to support teachers individually. If they would like to support schools, they can give to the school page directly.
Oops! I set up a school page instead of a classroom page. What do I do?
Contact us at [email protected] and we’ll help fix it for you.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, all donations made through AdoptAClassroom.org are tax-deductible. We will automatically email you a receipt with our tax ID number after a donation is made.
Who do I contact about donation receipts?
If you are having trouble locating your receipt, contact [email protected].
How do I know what my school bought with my donation?
After a school makes a purchase, our system will automatically email you an itemized list of everything purchased with your donation.
Why are schools only allowed 12 months to use each donation?
AdoptAClassroom.org has a responsibility to ensure that donated funds do not sit idle for excessive lengths of time, and that they are used to support our stated mission as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
What happens if a school does not use my donation within the 12 month period allowed?
AdoptAClassroom.org sends multiple reminders to schools regarding upcoming deadlines for to use their donated funds. If schools do not use their funds by the 12 month deadline, AdoptAClassroom.org will reallocate the funds to where they are needed most to support our mission.