On occasion, AdoptAClassroom.org’s vendors are unable to provide everything a teacher needs for their classroom. In these cases, AdoptAClassroom.org does allow for the use of funds for those items outside of our vendor network, provided the purchases meet the criteria and guidelines below.
- All purchases must be pre-approved prior to purchase. You can obtain pre-approval by emailing Program Coordinator, Dianna Anderson, at [email protected] Receipts sent without prior approval will be subject to delay and possible rejection.
- The item must be purchased by the teacher or their school district, with receipts clearly denoting a balance paid. PDF copies of itemized order receipts are acceptable; handwritten receipts without a business name are not. Unpaid invoices or quotes are likewise not accepted.
- The item must not be available in a similar form through our vendors—items must be qualitatively different from that which is available on our site (e.g. an office chair available through Amazon may be deemed too similar to a product available on AdoptAClassroom.org’s site from Office Depot).
- Any professional development, field trip, or unusual purchase (movie tickets, food, a trip to a climbing gym) must be accompanied by a letter on school letterhead explaining the purpose of the expense.
- Out of network purchases are subject to a $10 administrative fee to cover costs associated with processing. This fee will be deducted from the reimbursed amount, so the amount of the check that you receive will be $10 less than the costs submitted. Teachers who have received a donation from Farmer’s Insurance will have that fee covered by Farmer’s.
Who approves items for out of network reimbursement?
The program coordinator Dianna Anderson is in charge of teacher communications, including overseeing the out of network reimbursement program. Approvals are reviewed by Ann Pifer, Chief Operating Officer.
What do I do if I can’t afford to pay for the item out of pocket?
On rare occasions, a teacher is unable to pay for the out of network purchase upfront. We do have processes in place for this exceptional circumstance. Exceptions must be confirmed in writing. For more information, please contact Dianna Anderson.
How long will it take to receive my check?
The typical wait time is 5-10 business days. Requests are processed each Monday, and the checks are mailed either Tuesday or Wednesday of the same week.
But the item is cheaper on Amazon. Why can’t I use my funds there?
AdoptAClassroom.org’s operations depend on our working relationships with our specific vendors, and it would be a violation of our contracts with those vendors to allow the use of those funds at a competing store. Because our vendors are frequently focused specifically on educational supplies and offer competitive pricing, we believe that we can offer the best overall value for both the teachers and donors whom we serve through our website by purchasing the supplies that we donate to teachers from a select group of vendor-partners.