Funds needed to support and develop a 10 week Reading Incentive Program for first grade. Heres how it works!
1. Students have access to high quality, high interest leveled readers.
2. First grade students are challenged to read 21 books in a 10-week period.
3. At certain landmark points, students recieve rewards and prizes.
4. The event culminates in a Reading Celebration where students and family members gather to celebrate reading an books. Children share their book reports and the class presents the most popular, recommended reading lists.
5. After the celebration, dids get to choose books to keep at home!
Research shows that reading incentive programs MOTIVATE even first grade students to read! Motivation is the key that gets students reading independently! They become better readers and parents are more involved and committed to their education than students who are not involved in reading incentive programs. This holds true even for first grade students with limited exposure to literacy at home.
***Money raised for this classroom goes to the Adopt website where I can spend it on books, book bins, and student incentives.